Sunday, April 27, 2008

No Means No . . . Sort of

What in the world is wrong with me?? I tell people "no" all the time at work, with little regard to how they will feel about it. (I am nice about it - but it is my job to make the calls) So, how come in my personal life I get roped into some pretty stupid shizzle??

Let's examine the latest adventure Joe Joe is on . . . I'm going to be DJ'ing at a wedding -- a STRAIGHT wedding in ARKANSAS!!! Hmmmm, this is going to be interesting. I'm pretty sure the hillbillies aren't gonna wanna hear Mariah or some techno . . . I'm sure I can leave the glow sticks and whistle at home.

Here's the setup -- My now former boss (who was an awesome boss - already miss him!) asked me if I'd do a favor for him. I said sure - what is it? He goes "Would you DJ at my daughter's wedding? I know can ham it up on the microphone." Now, his one bad trait is that he doesn't really let you respond . . . he pretty much assumes whatever he's asking you will happen. So, I say "Well, I don't really think I have a lot of music that she or your family would really like." Back to him "Well -- that's okay -- it's for his family in Arkansas . . . we're doing a more formal thing here later." Oh me . . . well -- here goes anyway . . . Can't say I won't have a story to relay on this one.

So goes my life sometimes . . . I just can't say no. Another example is I'm volunteering all next week to teach 3rd graders about cities (it's for Junior Achievement). Um . . . I don't like kids. Especially those that I'm not related to . . . and I'm voluntarily going to enter 2 classrooms full of them and spend 45 minutes trying to teach them something. My skin is crawling thinking about it!!!

Some might say it's an adventurous side . . . others the need to please people. I just say . . . I'm too dang nice sometimes . . . oh well. At least I'm getting a lot of music out of the deal . . . thank goodness for my portable 230 gig hard drive!

BTW -- if you haven't heard Josh Turner . . . you need to! His voice is DAMN SEXY!

1 comment:

  1. Take heart... the ability to say no comes with time for some of us. Now I am the opposite; I can't say no at work (well, they do pay me for it) but I have little trouble saying no in my personal life. Kids, huh? Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts, comments, complaints, or random synaptic misfires . . . thx for reading and responding!! Love -- jj:)