Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Little Helper

So, ever wonder what this whole "Lap-Band" thing actually is?? Well -- here's the pic. I was going to put a photo of the lap band around the stomach, but I was worried that my blog was starting to look like a biology book. And my #1 rule of college was to not take anything ending in "-ology" . . . so . . .

This device is what is going to help me to lose weight. Key phrase in that sentence is "help". This device alone will not make the pounds melt away. I still have some changes I need to make in my life. What this does is help me make those changes.

For those in the know, you can skip down, but if not . . . then read on . . . this device will be placed around the upper part of my stomach to make a much smaller stomach towards the top where the esophagus enters the stomach. The pouch will hold food that I eat up closer to the top of my stomach, thus triggering the nerves that send the message to my brain saying -- Joe Joe full! So, I will eat considerably less and will not feel hungry. It's crazy sounding to me right now . . . but it works. I've seen it on several members of my family and have seen the success they've had. In fact, the surgeon that did my stepmom and aunt is doing me (my surgery, anyway).

So, why the quickie medical lesson?? Well, I was informed yesterday via phone that I was approved for the procedure. Um -- it's real now y'all! This is gonna happen. Like soon -- very soon. I will be posting a counter up on the blog when I get my actual date and then I'll start putting up how much weight I've lost afterwards. It's about to get all kuh-rayz-ee up in here!

This isn't something that you do to lose a few pounds, or even a few more. This is something you do when you have to lose ALOT of pounds. My surgeon believes a good target weight for me based on height and bone structure (and age) is 205 to 215. That means I'm going to lose 250 pounds . . .

. . . and I found out yesterday I've been approved for the procedure!!! An appt with a Nutritionist and a counselor next week, and then it's schedule my surgery time!!

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! That's great! I'm so glad that you've seen how it is on others, so that you know that it works & that it's not a quick & easy fix.

    I'm really happy for you - be sure to let us know when you're going in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this very courageous. Not just having the procedure, but the fact that you would put all of this out there. As trite as it may sound... thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts, comments, complaints, or random synaptic misfires . . . thx for reading and responding!! Love -- jj:)