Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Me and Grocery Stores . . .



What is it with me and grocery stores?? Maybe it's because I usually go late at night. Partly b/c of my work schedule, and partly b/c I just don't like crowds of people.


So, I'm at the grocery store gathering a few odds and ends, and then I notice -- everyone shopping looks either extremely hung over or the mental hospital down the road a few blocks had a break out. I have never seen so many zombie like people in one location wearing various forms of pajamas and troll doll hair do's since One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest . . . but that's just me.


I quickly gather my remaining items and head for the self checkout lanes (I LOVE those). No checker to comment on my purchase or some bag boy that squishes my chips or put two items per bag. Yes, the control is MINE!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA! (The simple things in life . . . )


Then, just as I pass the only open regular lane, I realize all the self checkouts are CLOSED!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I always end up with creepy checkout person . . . UGH! So, the checkout goes somewhat smoothly (he only asked me 4 times if this was all I had, and it was) and then we get to payment. Now being the courteous shopper I am, I have already swiped my check card, requested 20 bucks cash back, entered my code, and am just waiting for said cashier to process my transaction.


"You need to pay"


"I swiped my card already"


"No you didn't"


"Yes sir, I did" (This isn't going so well)


"I didn't see you"


"It says 'waiting on cashier'. I did debit and asked for cash back"


"Swipe it again"


"Aren't you supposed to hit the debit key on your register"


"Huh? Oh yeah . . . " (Hits debit key -- yes I was a checker in college for a time)


"Can I get 4 five dollar bills?" (Remember the 20 bucks I requested? I get 5's so I don't have to carry 20 dollars worth of change when I want a soda at work)


"What! It says 20 dollars!"


"Yes sir. Can I get 4 fives?"


"No. You have to get 20 dollars."


"Sir, count out the change for 4 fives. It's 20 dollars"


"Huh? No it's not. Look - 5, 10, 15, 20 - oh. Here." (I'd be willing to bet his register is a tad short at the end of his shift).


I hate grocery stores.


3 comments:

  1. Ok so on the subject of grocery stores I am just like you, the less interaction I have other customers/employees the better off I am. It is rare that you find me at the grocery store before eleven pm for the exact same reason that you stated you went late.
    AS for the cashier, on the flip side, if he is that dumb at least you know that he will probally get fired soon and you won't have to deal with him again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, that could be my next job...Is that a Bosc or Anjou, sir?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your restraint. Bad customer service is the one thing that will turn my normally sunny dispostion into a ranting maniac. I guess that poor check-out boy was deprived of Sesame Street as a child... 5, 10, 15, 20...

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts, comments, complaints, or random synaptic misfires . . . thx for reading and responding!! Love -- jj:)