Thursday, May 8, 2008

Invited to Join the "IN" Crowd

So, last weekend, after the week from . . . well . . . you know where . . . I was able to resume my rituals of taking Ragan to the Bark Park -- where we both get some exercise and some relaxing sun and fun.

As I do every weekend, we get in the car and head to Gage Park in Topeka, where the Bark Park is located. Everytime I go, there is this group of individuals that cluster and talk while their dogs run around.

Now, not being an overly social creature, I went off to a section of the park where I can throw the frisbee about and Ragan can run around. See -- he gets a bit possessive of his frisbee. He doesn't like to share it . . . at all. He'll pick it up and growl and bark while holding the frisbee and run from other dogs. Anyway - not the point tonight . . .

I usually focus on the pup, and the occasional dog runs up and I pet them. Or the occasional person says hello and I say hi back. But last weekend, the group was a bit infatuated with the running frisbee catching dog. (Yeah, he's talented. I'm not just making it up.) I get the "Wanna come join??"

Dang it! I have to be nice! I really didn't because I didn't know them (yes, I'm aware I have a social anxiety thing . . . it's why I'm at the park!) but I did. They were very pleasant and nice. Mentioned how pretty Ragan is, wanted to know how I taught him to catch a frisbee out of midair . . . this and that, small talk, jibber jabber.

Now, by this time I've noticed a particular owner with a Latin flavor that is SMOKIN hot! He has an Irish Setter named Chico . . . and I'm not sure if he was really shy, or gay. He did keep bending over tying his shoe and petting the small dogs right in front of me, and I can verify he was wearing Hanes boxer briefs . . . hmmmmm . . . I had on the JLo glasses, so the glances were very incognito.

Which brings me to my point . . . I don't know any of their names! I'm not sure they know each other's names. I know Chico's owner, Baby's owner, Spikey's owner, etc. etc. Weird huh?? I wonder if this is some form of secret code where if I'm liked enough, I get to learn their real names . . . :)

They were nice, and I do need to get out more and be social . . . so hey . . . it's a start!

3 comments:

  1. I have social anxiety too. In most of my social experiences from past to present, I've waited for the "IN" Crowd" invite... While it can be euphoric, I also secretly despise it, not knowing if they're really interested in me or if it's because I'm there alone looking pathetic to them or if it's because I'm being quiet.

    Talking amongst a crowd of strangers is freakish... a crowd of friends is a bit better... even a crowd of family can be difficult. I'm a listener and I try to listen to everything a person has to say, however, I often miss my chance to speak as I don't like to talk over people. While other times, I just don't know what to talk about, or I think I don't. But, I also don't like to sit and make small talk because it seems fake to me... So, it's like a catch 22. AND, I can be clever and funny, but, after not talking for a while, I come across to people as being weird. In fact, my lack of talking has given a couple of people the idea that I may kill them in their sleep, which I will blog about later because there's more to this story, though, that doesn't make for a great calling card if that's how I come across.

    Anyway... I hear you loud and clear, sweetie. I applaud you. And maybe, just maybe, if you keep going back, you'll be seeking them out. Seeing a familiar face can be comforting and it makes talking easier. Once you establish that, I think it's easier to talk to a stranger/new friend than it is to talk to family... It's like you can be a new person w/out the family hangups that so often shape us into who we are. You know what I mean? Anyway, I'm blogmenting...

    (((BIG HUGS))) & LOVE, Rob:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a social creature by nature, so I am on the other end of the spectrum. I will talk to anyone, anywhere, and I enjoy having lots of friends. However, the whole "In-crowd" thing is questionable for me. I want people to accept me for ME, not because I fit into their crowd. You have lots of natural charm and sweetness so trust your instincts. You will know when it is sincere. Now go play...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how our pets can offer the paw of friendship so easily, and provide the opening for us to be social animals.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts, comments, complaints, or random synaptic misfires . . . thx for reading and responding!! Love -- jj:)