Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Politics -- meh!

"Clothes make the man.  Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain

So, this might be a bit unexpected today -- a political rant.  I'm not overtly political -- I don't belong to a party.  I try to educate myself on the candidates that are running, and if I feel comfortable with what they stand for and how they communicate, I vote for them.  I DON'T vote a 'party ticket' -- I hate that.  Especially since the political parties are doing nothing but providing the same message in a different outfit.  Someone actually speaking the truth doesn't influence anything because they don't "look the part" -- so to speak.  (Hence the quote - which I LOVE)

So what has me up in arms -- a facebook ad.  I know, right??  I got a little facebook ad from the Democratic Party of Kansas with a little rainbow icon saying that the Democratic Party always has the interests of LGBT at heart.  Um -- really??  Always??  A wise professor once told me to investigate and never believe anything at face value, and she was right.  And you should never trust statements that contain "always" and "never."

So again -- why am I upset... Well - even though I'm gay (I know, shock!), my interests are with the rest of the country right now.  I'm sick and tired of what I jokingly call "The Politics of the Penis".  It started with the election of Mr. Hillary Clinton and has continued.  Everyone is worried about what everyone does with (or without) a penis.  Instead of telling us how they are going to get our AAA rating back as a nation, get our state out of debt, or fix the damn roads in the town I live in (they are doing that now, FINALLY, but all at once), I'm bombarded with sound bites about sex.

Don't believe me?  Watch this election cycle.  I want you to listen for the following three things:
  • Abortion ~ seriously -- this is still a topic.  1975 called and wants it's controversy back!  Let's give it to 'em.  I'm not going to go into what I personally believe, b/c it's moot, and might surprise you where I stand.  Stop spending money we don't have dealing with an issue that should be laid to rest with the synthetic bell bottoms of that era.  It's legal -- move on!
  • Gay Marriage ~ yeah, this makes me listen.  But honestly, I think we have more important things to worry about then whether or not I can change my last name at this time.  It's not that I don't think it's important (I am an HRC member), but I'm not voting based on this stand.  I'd vote for someone that doesn't want me to marry but can fix the tax code, close the loop holes, and fix our debt issues.  Why?  Simple, I can't "marry" anyway yet I know many people that do.  Marriage isn't a legal institution, it's a commitment between two people in front of God about loving each other forever and being faithful.  I don't need that legislated.  If it was 1991 and the economy was rocking along, I'd be all for this, but not right now.
  • Sex Scandal ~ Tied to either Anthony Weiner (still makes me giggle) or a new one crops up.  Two words -- SO WHAT?  Every adult has a closet door that would have all kinds of skeletons and zombies come running out that we don't want the world to see.  I'm not making a decision based on whether or not someone is permiscuous. 
I probably over vented - but I just hate being labeled and being told that I should support something because I'm gay.  Or from Texas.  Or an Aggie.  Or a soon to be psychologist.  Or (insert reason here).  Let me think!  Let me make my own decision.  If you tell me what to do I'm liable to do the exact opposite to spite you....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts, comments, complaints, or random synaptic misfires . . . thx for reading and responding!! Love -- jj:)