Friday, August 26, 2011

Ain't About the Money

So, this whole grad school thing is a bit scary but really exciting too.  Some MAJOR life changes have taken place in a quick time that honestly, I just haven't processed yet.  No more house (good thing), no more job (good thing), no steady income (not a good thing), and lots of reading (not a good thing, but will be!).

What I'm pondering is "why?" -- and actually I'm not, but some of my acquaintences are.  I say acquatinences b/c those that I'm friends with know me and know why.  But I wanted to explain why, in this economy (so hate that phrase!) I chose to quit a very good job and start on this adventure.

I can sum it all up in three words -- FOUND MY PASSION.  I feel very lucky and blessed to have discovered what motivates and excites me, and it's learning about human behavior, mental health, and all that is tied up with it.  I get excited at the thought of learning about this -- and practicing it.  I find it odd that people have the tendency to offer me their advice on what I'm doing -- especially now that I'm doing it...

Yes I know it's a long haul for my doctorate (like 7 - 8 years)
Yes I know I'm going to want to pull my hair out at times
Yes I know I won't be able to make tons of money
Yes I know it's going to be a huge challenge

I'm not motivated by money or ease though, not anymore.  If one day, down the line somewhere, in my research or in my practice or maybe even in a book I publish I can help one person, one individual, then all of this is worth it.  And that, my acquaintences, is why I'm doing this.  It's not for the Benjamin's...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts, comments, complaints, or random synaptic misfires . . . thx for reading and responding!! Love -- jj:)