Sunday, October 10, 2010

Where's My America?

OH, it’s the call of the political machine . . . you can hear it from far away beating the drums like it does every 4 years – and for some reason quite loudly in this election cycle . . . or maybe because it’s that I’m paying more attention to it.

Anyway – have you heard the new phrases?? “Take America Back!” “Fight for our America!” “Change That Matters” “Country First” . . . Sound good don’t they?

Here’s one that I’d like to offer . . . “Where’s My America?” Not a lot of mumbo jumbo, but some questions that I’m still waiting for a politician to actually answer before I vote for him or her.

Where’s the America that is compassionate and loving? Yes, some tragic news about some gay teens that were bullied so much they chose suicide as an only route has finally brought this issue to light. But where are the solutions that are supposed to be offered from our leaders? There’s so much blame falling to the teachers – but that behavior wasn’t taught in the schools. It was taught at home. It was taught by people that believe others not like them are weak, inferior, and useless. It’s not taught directly, but indirectly. It’s a process called modeling. So where’s the responsibility for the parents and the bullies in all this? Yeah – I believe a lot of it lies there. My America would care about individuals, and would value the differences we all have. It wouldn’t care about color, faith, or sexual orientation.

Where’s the America that believes in freedom? I’m so tired of everyone trying to convince me of their personal point of view. Does anyone know that opinions can’t be right or wrong?? They are merely just what someone believes – or perceives – or thinks. I’m glad that you think it’s a travesty that an Islamic Center wants to build near WTC site – I don’t. If they have the money to buy the property then let them have at it. I’m ecstatic that you believe someone under 18 seeking an abortion should be allowed to do it without parental consent – I don’t. I think if someone is under 18, by law therefore a child, then that child does not have an expectation of privacy from their own parents – and the parents should be informed. Notice in my opinions I didn’t say I was right, or that someone was wrong. I just stated my opinion and moved on – that’s how it should be. My America would welcome diverse thought, a sharing of ideas, and a cordial (notice I didn’t say passionate debate was bad, just respectful) debate on topics effecting the nation. No demagogue-ing allowed . . .

Where’s the America that believes in equality? Remember Majority Rules, with Minority Rights?? It’s something that stuck with me from my political science lectures (well the ones I didn’t fall asleep in). It simply means that the majority will rule, but the minority’s rights are protected. You can’t just walk over those that don’t agree with you. (Hey Republicans and Democrats – did you see that???) They must have slept on that day instead. My America would be able to separate out a religious argument from an equality one. Instead of defining a religious definition into law (illegal btw), I’d step away from the argument on marriage. My America would make sure that all people, regardless on anything, were treated fairly by its government. If religious affiliations want to discriminate, that is their prerogative, but not the governments . . .

So I ask simply – not to take America back, or change it just because, but rather . . . simply . . . help her find her compassion and soul. That’s the America I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts, comments, complaints, or random synaptic misfires . . . thx for reading and responding!! Love -- jj:)