Monday, May 18, 2009

Love Hurts - Musically



Okay - so I have a burning question that needs to be answered . . . is it morbid that most of my favorite love songs aren't positive happy tunes?? I mean - what is that all about??

Here's the deal -- I'm working on putting together a pre-reception playlist for Gracie's wedding in October (yeah, I am a bit ahead, but I am kind of a planner). So - I'm sifting through all the songs I have, and I've realized that all of my faves - for the most part - are more about heartache than love.

I know why this is - but it still catches me off guard. Obviously, we are all more drawn to music that touches are souls or that we can relate to. Yes (insert tragic violin music) I can identify more with the pain of love than the joy of it. Kinda bites!

Please, no "it'll be alright" type comments. I'm not down about it and I'll meet the right guy some day. I'm sure he'll be buff, smart, rich, and want to tour Europe for a month too -- but that's not what this is about. It's just about identifying with music. I just found it odd that my favorite love songs are not so "lovey" -- which is making it a bit of a challenge in filling the playlist. Please feel free to suggest any . . . I'm open!

Oh - for the curious - here are my favorite love songs:
  • "Patience" by Take That - about not rushing into love because my heart is still healing from a broken heart
  • "Come Back to Me" by David Cook - a rocker version of the I'll let you go and see if you will come back
  • "The Rose" by Bette Midler - not totally negative, but not totally positive either . . .
  • "Yesterday" by Leona Lewis - not that I don't love "Bleeding Love," b/c I do, but this is much less played and just as beautiful. Basically the future can be taken away, but I can remember the past.
  • "I Stay in Love" by Mariah Carey - can not get this song out of my head! About staying in love with someone that treats you like crap . . . morbid I know!
  • "One Night" by The Corrs - about just getting one night for the person you love
  • "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt - didn't know that Bruce Hornsby plays piano/keyboard on this 'til the other day
  • "Can't Stop Loving You" by Phil Collins - still in love with the person that's leaving you
  • "Melt Away" by Mariah Carey - a positive one!! There's hope!! Grace says it reminds her of middle school though (b/c she IS that young! I hate her!!) I want to dance with someone to this song . . .

Anyway . . . I heart Love songs . . . just tend to lean to the heartache ones right now . . . but one day I hope to lean towards the other :)

Peace out for now! jj:)

2 comments:

  1. I have a feeling there are plenty of love songs that you know that aren't focused on the darker side of emotion. They just aren't popping into your head right now.

    As for suggestions, I really suck at that since I seldom remember song titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, look at the playlist on my blog page - it includes Three Days Grace "I Hate Everything About You." Liking emotionally compelling songs (any emotion) does not mean anything other than you like those songs. I find most love songs sappy anyway. If you want something really scary, you should see my (original) song lyrics : )

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts, comments, complaints, or random synaptic misfires . . . thx for reading and responding!! Love -- jj:)