Friday, March 6, 2009

The Week After: Three Rings


Hello my Pretties! So, it's been one week since the surgery, and we're at 20 lbs. I'm flabergasted and excited . . . and not really that hungry. One of the things that I'm finding that will be the real struggle is to break my habit in eating, not actually the eating itself. But more on that in a moment . . .

You may have noticed that my weight loss total has only gone up by 3 lbs from the last graphic. At my first appt, I found out that the surgeon's scale was not working properly and therefore, mis-weighed me. It made all of the patients that day weigh light, not just me -- so phooey on that. But the bottom line is that 20 lbs have fallen off since the start, and that's just too cool for school.

Ring 1: My Aggie Ring
Yes, that is the picture of my beloved Aggie Ring. I have not been able to wear this ring comfortably for extended periods of times in probably 4 or 5 years. My fingers were just too damn big. However . . . I've now been able to wear it for the past 4 days, nonstop! For most, it's not a huge deal to wear your college ring, but A&M grads know that it's such a huge thing to qualify and get your Aggie Ring, and the vast majority of grads wear their rings for life. I was excstatic to be able to put it on my finger and be able to wear it again.

Ring 2: My Lap Band
Alright gang -- not to get too gross, but I had my first "bad band" day...today. That means that I had some issues keeping food down -- specifically lunch. I had tuna fish and some pasta (overcooked it as instructed) but let's just say it didn't agree with me. This was the one thing about the band that I was not happy about -- sometimes if you eat too much or are having a bad day, food doesn't stay put. Now, I HATE to throw up . . . HATE IT! But -- kind of odd to say but it wasn't as bad as an actual throw up. You don't wretch -- it just comes back up. My step mom calls it a "productive burp" (she has one too). So -- I've finally experienced that and know what to do.

Ring 3: The Block
So yesterday at the doctor's -- I got the okay to start walking for exercise. Yay?? Keep in mind I hate exercise, but am over it. I know that I won't like doing it, but will feel better after I do it (which I did). It's kind of the self-conscious part of me that thinks everyone is gonna point at the big guy exercising . . . but damnit! I should be!! So - I walked about 3/4 mile today. Just made a lap around a 3 block (or so) area where my parents live. Felt good to get out and just do it. Goal is by the end of next month, walking 2 miles three times a week.

So -- there's your weekly update (Thom!). I didn't want to bore everyone with this but it is the biggest thing going down in my life right now, so I need to capture it. It will be neat to go through all this later after all is going strong and see how silly I am on some stuff :) Until next time . . .

3 comments:

  1. It IS a big deal. Being able to wear the ring is more than just wearing it, it is tangible evidence of the change that is happening. Walking is good and will turn from a chore to a joy. I do my best thinking while I am walking - even if I am connected to an mp3 player. You wil reach a point where you actually feel lighter on your feet and it will feel good while you are walking.

    Very proud of you, JJ. (AKA Lord of the rings)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ***wild applause***

    This is ALL great news, & I'm so happy for you!!! It's wonderful that you've passed a bit of a milestone so soon...weight loss is always easier to achieve when you can see results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, my dear, you know that I am so proud of you! And, if you don't by now let me say...I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!! I know what an enormous step this is in your life and you should be both proud of it and proud to talk about it. I know I'm listening... :) Luv u babe!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts, comments, complaints, or random synaptic misfires . . . thx for reading and responding!! Love -- jj:)