Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Marry you??


So, Newsweek's cover story is about gay marriage. Here's the link to the article if you haven't read it: http://www.newsweek.com/id/172653

The article does well in arguing for gay marriage. I liked the author's use of the Bible and using interpretations that are not just her own, but that of several theologists as well. I think what's interesting however, is that she touches on what I truly believe is the main issue of the arguement against gay marriage but doesn't really explore it. The uncomfortablility (is that a word?) of understanding gay sex, specifically among men.

I've always believed that the main issue isn't actually a religious based arguement, but rather a lack of understanding. For some reason, in our society, sex between women has always been considered okay (and in some cases, hot -- by straight men no less). Since men have always been in control (until recent history) - the societal pressures that have created our norms and customs were developed by heterosexual men. Many of our practices and beliefs were in part, designed to help keep those in power, in power.

Now I don't believe that keeping gay men down in some way is part of a huge power struggle or conspiracy . . . I just believe that it challenges what people have been taught to believe. In turn, if the belief that gay marriage is wrong is shown to be what it is -- poppycock -- then what else in that canon of beliefs is also incorrect?? This fear is what drives the fanaticism of those on the side of anti-gay marriage.

The arguement that marriage is holy or sactioned by God is just an arguement that is easy to defend. If you disagree, you don't believe in God . . . therefore . . . no one should listen or trust you. Yeah -- I'm from the South -- I get the arguement. It's not true, but it's hard to fight because of the stigma that is assigned to you if you disagree with it. It's all about power, and being reistance to change.

I'm not a fan of saying Gay is the new Black -- b/c every struggle is unique and different. However, those that opposed equal rights among Blacks are pretty much the same ones that oppose gay marriage. That, in turn, says an awful lot. It tells us the path we will take, and ultimately how this will play out. I would like to think that in my lifetime it will no longer matter if you are gay or straight. I just don't know . . .

The bottom line with this post for me is that our country is changing. I think the best thing that could of happened is that Prop 8 in California passed. Now, the debate is rising, law suits are challenging, and ultimately - our country will learn to accept. They don't have to understand, just remember -- all love is divine.



----------------
Now playing: Mika - Any Other World
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

  1. Ah the issue that simply will not go away. I find it rediculous that it is an issue at all. It is a union bound in love and it can be called marriage, it can be called a civil union, it can be called whatever they want to label it...but I be damned if I end up like Vanessa Redgrave's charactor in "If These Walls Could Talk"...60years old and being kicked out of my own house by the family of by dead lover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that all love is Divine. But I also believe that unless the church is removed from the equation, it will always be a hot button. I would be very happy with civil unions, like other states have done. All I want are the same rights and to be able to see my partner in the hospital (or vice versa) if something happens. In Florida, like three other states, the people spoke at the polls and defined marriage as between a man and a woman only. In the process, they also took rights away from even older straight couples living together. It's a mess and I don't think it will be resolve any time soon.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts, comments, complaints, or random synaptic misfires . . . thx for reading and responding!! Love -- jj:)